Former PAK Cricketer Fuels Controversy: PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi Misses Dubai Trip for Champions Trophy Final

web editor  

New Delhi: The Pakistan cricket team faced disappointment after being eliminated from the group stage of the 2025 Champions Trophy. Things took another challenging turn following the tournament's final held in Dubai. Despite Pakistan hosting the event, the final was relocated due to India's qualification. It had been previously agreed upon by all cricket boards that India would not travel to Pakistan and would instead play its matches in Dubai. Tensions rose when former Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar and other prominent figures pointed out the absence of representation from the Pakistan Cricket Board during the final presentation of the Champions Trophy 2025. The situation brought to light the ongoing complexities and sensitivities surrounding cricket matches between the two neighboring nations.

A PTI report states that Mohsin Naqvi, the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board, was unwell and unable to attend the presentation ceremony for the Champions Trophy 2025. Former Pakistani cricketer Basit Ali commented that Naqvi’s presence was necessary.

“Mohsin Naqvi, who is the PCB chairman, should have gone to Dubai. This is my view. Because he has his own airplane. Being the host of the Champions Trophy, he could have gone and come back the same night. Only he knows what was the problem. But he should have gone,” Basit Ali said on his YouTube channel.

“Jay Shah was there. He also made a little mistake. He is not the BCCI secretary now. He is the ICC head. He should have been seated elsewhere. When you get a position like this you need to be careful of the media too. There was no one from Pakistan in prize distribution because the PCB chairman was not there.”

BCCI president Roger Binny awarded white jackets to the Indian players and presented medals to the match officials, while ICC chairman Jay Shah gave the trophy to captain Rohit Sharma and distributed medals to the winning team. BCCI secretary Devajit Saikia and New Zealand Cricket’s CEO Roger Twose were also on stage. Notably, Saikia serves as the BCCI Director on the ICC board, and Binny holds the position of Alternate Director.

The dispute arose when Sumair Ahmed, the chief operating officer of the PCB and the tournament director for the Champions Trophy, was not included on stage during the final presentation.

“We have filed a formal complaint with the ICC as what happened is unacceptable to us,” a PCB official said on Tuesday.

According to sources from the ICC, the PCB will not receive any official clarification.

“If the PCB mandarins look up, even ICC CEO Geoff Allardice wasn’t present on stage. The reason is protocol,” said the ICC source.